Back to Alvechurch FC Home Page
Club Sponsor

Match Reports | Fixtures | Results | Players | History | Other News | Links


Match Reports for Alvechurch Football Club.

Email Alvechurch fc

Alvechurch vs Blackheath Invensys | Long Eaton united vs Alvechurch | Southam United vs Alvechurch


Alvechurch 2 Blackheath Invensys 0 (28/08/00)

Three wins out of four for 'Church have heralded a much better start to a season for some time. Blackheath were the latest opponents put to the sword with a goal in each half, to give the Lye Meadow side a thoroughly deserved three points.

Both sides looked better attacking, but the early stages suggested that a defensive mistake was more likely to produce a breakthrough than attacking design. To support this, it was 34 minutes before the first clear opportunity was carved out. A stinging shot from Phil Cotterill was spilled by 'keeper Walwyn, but he managed to recover to smother the second effort at the feet of the on-rushing Andy Hicks. Dean Meyrick produced a clever trap and turn to create an opening for himself, but his snap shot flew just wide.

It was, however, a piece of clever play that produced Alvechurch's opener. A smart run from Cotterill down the right flank enabled him to produce a long lofted cross to the far post where last season's top scorer Paul Court pounced to head in from a tight angle, and thereby open this campaign's account. The second half began brighter for both sides, and Blackheath were always threatening on the break, although Inman had little to do. An early chance fell to Meyrick, who latched onto a superb through ball from Hicks, but his shot across goal flashed just wide. But 'Church's second goal came in similar fashion. With eleven minutes to go Dean Tilley this time provided the pass for Phil Cotterill to run onto, beating the offside trap on the centre circle. He showed a good turn of pace and then a cool head to turn the ball smartly past the advancing 'keeper to seal the points and finally kill off the challenge from the visitors.


Carling Sponsored FA Vase - 2nd Qualifying Round
Long Eaton United 1 Alvechurch 1
(After extra time; 90 mins 1-1)

Alvechurch survived a gruelling two hour battle with Central Midland League side Long Eaton United to earn a replay in this FA Vase 2nd Qualifying Round tie. Alvechurch had the better of the opening exchanges, winning a series of corners, as the home side adopted a cautious formation and game plan; defending very deep, allowing the 'Church midfield a lot of space, Long Eaton appeared to be happy to contain their visitors and hit a long ball to threaten on the break. It was therefore not surprising that the pressure brought some early gain. A strong run down the flank by Rob Powell was topped with a dangerous cross into the box where Michael Campbell connected to steer the ball to Dean Meyrick who made no mistake from a few feet out. Long Eaton struck back,and Bowler should have converted with his head at the far post to finish off a free kick whipped into the box from the touchline, but he missed completely. Soon after a free kick from Mable was well saved by Dave Inman with the ball heading for the top corner. A third chance arrived on 26 minutes when Inman was again called into action; this time to deny a Shipman effort which he pushed over the bar. But the home side stole an equaliser on 32 minutes when Guilor shook off the attentions of Nolan Talbot and shot low from the edge of the box. His pin-pointed effort found the corner of the net, low down to Inman's left, the precision giving the 'keeper little chance. With half time beckoning the impressive Campbell broke from just inside the Long Eaton half, latching onto a deft flick from Meyrick, but was just unable to gain full control of the bobbling ball before stabbing his shot wide. The second half saw 'Church playing with the backing of the wind, but chances became increasingly rare. An early 20 yard effort from Meyrick floated just over with the 'keeper off his line, and Paul Court won the ball on the edge of the box to set up Campbell centre goal, but there was no purchase on his effort which 'keeper Wood smothered. Ironically, Dave Inman forced a save from Wood with only two minutes remaining, when his long clearance gave the home 'keeper enough problems to opt for safety first in pushing the ball over the bar. Ninety minutes failed to separate the two sides, and both sides entered extra time perhaps thinking that they could not afford a mistake that would probably cost the tie. The home side threatened more in the early stages as they began to play more controlled football, but 'Church came closest on 103 minutes when a Meyrick header rapped the bar with the 'keeper rooted to the spot. The clearest effort for 'Church to steal the victory came with just four minutes of the extra thirty remaining. Paul Court created more danger, and firing a low cross across the face of the box the ball was met by Richard Stocks, but his effort skewed high over the bar from just a few yards out. And so back to Lye Meadow.


Midland Football Combination Premier Division
Southam United 0 Alvechurch 1

A third consecutive league win for Mick Preece's team, gained whilst still not firing on all cylinders. Nick Lamorte and Christian Townsend have returned after lengthy absences, and Townsend in particular has added something to the side in midfield with his undoubted craft and talent.

This game looked in some doubt at kick off time as a freak storm had left the pitch sodden, with pools of surface water waiting to make fools of the unsuspecting., but the first half finished in bright summery sunshine to dispel any fears of the conditions actually worsening.

Alvechurch seemed to get to grips with the conditions better than a frankly poor home side. On the quarter hour Paul Court fired against the foot of the post after a Townsend free kick had found him in the box. His trap, turn and shot movement deserved better. Just after, a Martin Keight strike from 25 yards was saved at full stretch by the 'keeper. Nick Lamorte too was foiled by 'keeper Woods as it headed for the top left hand corner.

'Church's breakthrough came on 31 minutes when Dean Meyrick's run was halted by a trip on the edge of the box. Townsend strode up to bend the fee kick around the wall, to plant the ball in the bottom right hand corner of the goal. Just before the break a strong run and deep cross from Barry Simpson presented Meyrick with a golden chance at the far post, but he couldn't steer the ball below the bar and his effort went high.

Alvechurch dominated in the second period too, but could not make the game safe as Southam hung onto a one goal deficit. Nick Lamorte had a "goal" chalked off on 63 minutes when he won a seemingly 50/50 challenge with Woods to steer the ball into the empty net, but he was controversially adjudged to have committed an offence by a referee who was some way away. A Simpson header from a corner followed, clawed away by Woods, and the 'keeper can take most credit from the game, keeping the score to one with an accomplished performance.



Season 94/95
Alvechurch Record: P34 W15 D11 L8 F66 A41 Pts56
Finishing Position: 5th out of 18
Champions: Northfield Town
Season 95/96
Alvechurch Record: P38 W10 D10 L18 F57 A84 Pts40
Finishing Position: 16th out of 20
Champions: Bloxwich Town
Season 96/97
Alvechurch Record: P38 W9 D5 L24 F55 A77 Pts36
Finishing Position: 18th out of 20
Champions: Richmond Swifts
Season 97/98
Alvechurch Record: P40 W12 D6 L22 F67 A88 Pts42
Finishing Position: 17th out of 21
Champions: Worcester Athletico
Season 98/99
Alvechurch Record: P34 W12 D4 L18 F61 A77 Pts40
Finishing Position: 14th out of 18
Champions: Alveston